Skip to main content

Pancakes From a Vegetable

Sweet Potato Pancakes

     I think spring is within sight.  According to the calendar it's already here, but I guess Mama Nature didn't get the memo.  

     I love sweet potatoes!  I love them any way you prepare them, I even munch on them raw.  Raw sweet potatoes are a tasty, crunchy snack.  Pancakes are a different story, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I love making them.  I know, it's a little weird to enjoy making something I don't like, but I don't think I've ever been called normal.

     Recently I had a couple of sweet potatoes that needed consumed, so, I baked one of them and ate it, but there was still one left.  What should I do with only one sweet potato?  Hmmmm.....sweet potato pancakes!


     They were fun to make, and super easy, I just put everything into a bowl, mixed, scooped out into a hot buttered skillet and cooked.  That's almost too easy, if that's possible.

     To make these, you begin with a cooked, mashed sweet potato.  You could boil it, but I just popped it into the microwave for a few minutes, just until tender. Then take off the skin and mash it with a hand mixer.  A potato masher would work too.

     
     I then added the rest of the ingredients and mixed them together.


     The batter was really thick, so I spread it out when I scooped it out and put it in the pan.  Next time I make them, I'll add a little more milk to the batter to thin it a little.

Sweet Potato Pancakes
makes 2-4 pancakes, depending on size

  • 1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 flour
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda (omit if using self-rising flour)
  • pinch of salt (omit if you are using self-rising flour)
  • 1 tsp sugar or honey
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • optional milk to thin batter if necessary
       Make sure the sweet potato is completely mashed.  Mix all ingredients.  Scoop, or pour (depending on thickness of batter) onto a hot, buttered pan or griddle.  Cook as you would regular pancakes.  They don't bubble, so be careful not to cook them too long before flipping. I ate mine with sugar free syrup, but I imagine butter pecan syrup would be amazing!

       Nutritional info: Serving size: 2 4-inch pancakes; calories:151; total fat: 6.1 g; saturated fat:1.6        g; trans fat: 0 g; cholesterol: 164 mg; sodium: 307 mg; carbohydrates: 16.2 g; dietary fiber: 2.9      g; sugars: 6.5




Please subscribe and share!
Follow me @ Instagram: thymetolose
                  @ Pinterest: Thyme to Lose/Lisa Caldwell
                  @ My Fitness Pal: myfitnesspal.com/leacypeacy

"Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Eggsactly Easy!

     Is it easy?  Eggsactly so!     Eggs really are the incredible food. Such a tiny thing, yet, those little things are stuffed full of yummy, healthy nutrition-except carbs-they are happily lacking in that category.  According to the AEB, (American Egg Board), 1 egg (50g) has 70 calories and 0 carbohydrates, making them the perfect addition to a low carb diet.  Eggs are a little high in cholesterol, so if that's a concern you want to be careful and don't go hog wild and eat a dozen of them every day.      Eggs can be prepared in nearly any way you can think of, but for those of us who are weight conscious, boiled is a wonderful way of cooking them.  Boiled eggs are one of my favorite snacks, as well as a favorite breakfast item.  Anyone other than me put sriracha sauce on their eggs? Yummy!      How many times have you attempted to peel a boiled egg only to get frustrated because it was hard t...

There's Something Fishy About It

     How ya'll doing?  I hope everyone is enjoying the last lazy, hazy days of summer.  Fall is officially right around the corner.  Shew, summer absolutely flew by!  Kids are already back in school. Speaking of kids, my youngest grandchild is coming tomorrow to spend a week with me.  I'm excited!  We will have so much fun playing, going to the mall for Dippin' Dots, and whatever else we want to do .  I cleaned my house today, Hurricane Lillian hits tomorrow. 🤣      I told Lillian she can help me cook our meals, and I'm sure we will be eating salmon at least once, so here is a very tasty and colorful salmon entrée.      Mix marinade and pour it over the salmon in a glass dish, turn to coat well.  Put it in the refrigerator and don't think about it anymore until it is time to cook dinner. .     Next, make the relish. Just mix it up in a medium bowl.  That's it, nothing more exc...

Mediterraneyum!

     It's been more than a hot minute since I've made an entry here. In fact, it's almost been a year. The truth isn't because I've been too busy-no the truth is much, much more shameful: I've been too lazy. Too lazy to write, and too lazy to eat the way I know I should eat. However, on the bright side, I have recently passed consecutive day 1000 of walking at least one mile. It's something that five years ago I would have said would be impossible.       I have, for the last couple of weeks, returned to eating more whole, less processed foods. In that short time, I have already lost a few pounds, and more importantly, have begun to feel great!       At the end of each of these blog entries I have always written, " Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!!". That is a lie, a fallacy, fiction, untruth, falsehood, fib, whatever word for it you choose. What I meant in the statement is that healthy feels better than food t...