Skip to main content

It's Cold When It's Hot

     I hope everyone is having a great summer, I know I am.  I recently went on a "sisters only" vacation to New Bern, North Carolina, most notably the birthplace of Pepsi.  
     We walked a few miles every day, I wish I'd have kept a total of the mileage for the entire week.  One day we walked over six miles, one mile of it was a guided ghost walk.  That was interesting, we learned a lot of history of the town and saw some gorgeous buildings.  We also climbed 207 steps up the Cape Lookout Lighthouse, the view is breathtaking, I highly recommend it.  It was my first lighthouse, so I don't have any other to compare it to, but a man there said he has been in several, including all the others in the Outer Banks, and that Cape Lookout has the best view because it's all natural, nothing but God's handiwork.  The water around it is so blue, it looks like the pictures I've seen of the Caribbean.


     North Carolina was hot-very hot.  It's been hot here in West Virginia too.  Hot days call for cold soup.  Cold soup is so refreshing, and because cucumbers are in season, a cold cucumber soup really hits the spot.

     First, gather and prep the ingredients.

     You cook the cucumbers. What!?!?!? Yes, you cook the cucumbers! I had never heard of cooking cukes, the intrigue of it is the main reason I made this soup.  I'm so glad I did, it is soooo good.  So good that the next time I make it I'm tripling the recipe.  It freezes very well, just sit it in the fridge overnight, or on the counter for a little time.  Whisk a little before serving.
     After the cuke mixture has cooked, transfer it to your blender, put in diced avocado and parsley, blend on low speed until smooth.  Always use caution when blending hot foods.  Your soup is done, you can eat it warm, but trust me when I say to put it in the refrigerator for a few hours and eat it cold.  



Creamy Cucumber Soup
about 4 cups

1 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbs lemon juice
3-3/4 cups peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 3 minutes.  Add lemon juice and cook for 1 minute.  Add the cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat, gently simmer until the cucumbers are soft, about 6-8 minutes.
  • Transfer the soup to a blender, add the diced avocado and parsley and blend on low speed until smooth.  Soup can be eaten warm or cold. Garnish with chopped cucumber and/or parsley sprigs.

     119 calories per 1 cup serving

     Follow me
     Instagram
     Pinterest
     Email

"Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!"

     
     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Eggsactly Easy!

     Is it easy?  Eggsactly so!     Eggs really are the incredible food. Such a tiny thing, yet, those little things are stuffed full of yummy, healthy nutrition-except carbs-they are happily lacking in that category.  According to the AEB, (American Egg Board), 1 egg (50g) has 70 calories and 0 carbohydrates, making them the perfect addition to a low carb diet.  Eggs are a little high in cholesterol, so if that's a concern you want to be careful and don't go hog wild and eat a dozen of them every day.      Eggs can be prepared in nearly any way you can think of, but for those of us who are weight conscious, boiled is a wonderful way of cooking them.  Boiled eggs are one of my favorite snacks, as well as a favorite breakfast item.  Anyone other than me put sriracha sauce on their eggs? Yummy!      How many times have you attempted to peel a boiled egg only to get frustrated because it was hard t...

There's Something Fishy About It

     How ya'll doing?  I hope everyone is enjoying the last lazy, hazy days of summer.  Fall is officially right around the corner.  Shew, summer absolutely flew by!  Kids are already back in school. Speaking of kids, my youngest grandchild is coming tomorrow to spend a week with me.  I'm excited!  We will have so much fun playing, going to the mall for Dippin' Dots, and whatever else we want to do .  I cleaned my house today, Hurricane Lillian hits tomorrow. 🤣      I told Lillian she can help me cook our meals, and I'm sure we will be eating salmon at least once, so here is a very tasty and colorful salmon entrée.      Mix marinade and pour it over the salmon in a glass dish, turn to coat well.  Put it in the refrigerator and don't think about it anymore until it is time to cook dinner. .     Next, make the relish. Just mix it up in a medium bowl.  That's it, nothing more exc...

Mediterraneyum!

     It's been more than a hot minute since I've made an entry here. In fact, it's almost been a year. The truth isn't because I've been too busy-no the truth is much, much more shameful: I've been too lazy. Too lazy to write, and too lazy to eat the way I know I should eat. However, on the bright side, I have recently passed consecutive day 1000 of walking at least one mile. It's something that five years ago I would have said would be impossible.       I have, for the last couple of weeks, returned to eating more whole, less processed foods. In that short time, I have already lost a few pounds, and more importantly, have begun to feel great!       At the end of each of these blog entries I have always written, " Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!!". That is a lie, a fallacy, fiction, untruth, falsehood, fib, whatever word for it you choose. What I meant in the statement is that healthy feels better than food t...